Lag tanks and what makes them.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lag tanks and what makes them.

As the title suggests, What makes a lag tank? Internet connection or poor PC? I will soon have a nice upgrade from my current PC and I guess my question is will it only be as good as my connection?

I'm currently running 25 mbps internet (connected via ethernet because my wifi is poor imo and we run multiple devises here at home) and if I remember correctly I speed tested where I should be but my ping was low.

Appreciate any input
    Respect the classics

Lag tank is caused by lag

Internet connection tank is not a thing

If you have a bad connection and desync and the zombs do that thing where they run in a line and turn around and do it again, I don't know how that looks on other players screens. But when you lag and zombs aren't getting to you in your game in the amount of time they would if you weren't lagging, for people not lagging as much, they will already be on you. This creates lag tank.
    I would write an unoriginal quote in here to make myself look more professional, but it seems that's already been taken by just about everybody

Comment

25 Mbps isn't all that bad. Try running the test at speedtest.net again, be sure to check both download and upload performance. A wired connection is a good choice and is probably more reliable than your wireless.
      When you say "but my ping was low", do you mean the reported value was low, or it was low-performing. Note that lower ping times (typically measured in milliseconds) are considered better.

A common misconception is that lag and low FPS are the same issue, while they are most definitely not. Low FPS is most often a problem with your hardware, while high latency is the typical source for lag.

If you provide your new system's specifications, it'd be easier to get a better idea of whether or not your connection would be a bottleneck or not.
      Proud user of a 12**** [BLACK] Lone Star in SAS 4.

Comment

Originally posted by undefined314 View Post
        25 Mbps isn't all that bad. Try running the test at speedtest.net again, be sure to check both download and upload performance. A wired connection is a good choice and is probably more reliable than your wireless.
        When you say "but my ping was low", do you mean the reported value was low, or it was low-performing. Note that lower ping times (typically measured in milliseconds) are considered better.

A common misconception is that lag and low FPS are the same issue, while they are most definitely not. Low FPS is most often a problem with your hardware, while high latency is the typical source for lag.

If you provide your new system's specifications, it'd be easier to get a better idea of whether or not your connection would be a bottleneck or not.

These are the results from my speed test http://imgur.com/a/nyRJF

My PC I am currently using is a 6 or 7 year old dell inspiron 580s. It has the i3 dual core @4 gb ddr3. I'm fairly certain it was built for office use (I inherited it) my graphics is stock as well. Nothing fancy.

But the PC I am upgrading too will have the i7 6th gen , 16 gb ddr4, not sure on graphics but I am certain its a hell of an upgrade from what I am using now. (getting from newegg)

Think that will perform well with my internet? I appreciate the feedback btw
        Respect the classics

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceghost420 View Post

These are the results from my speed test http://imgur.com/a/nyRJF

My PC I am currently using is a 6 or 7 year old dell inspiron 580s. It has the i3 dual core @4 gb ddr3. I'm fairly certain it was built for office use (I inherited it) my graphics is stock as well. Nothing fancy.

But the PC I am upgrading too will have the i7 6th gen , 16 gb ddr4, not sure on graphics but I am certain its a hell of an upgrade from what I am using now. (getting from newegg)

Think that will perform well with my internet? I appreciate the feedback btw

It sounds like you'll be good to go once your new system arrives. Your upload speed is a little bit concerning (although it's typical for residential connections to have upload performance throttled much more than download), but it probably won't be a big deal. I haven't observed the game using more than a few hundred KB/s of my bandwidth, and definitely not that much from me to the server (upload).

Don't worry too much about the graphics card, at least not for SAS 4. While improvements have been made to modernize SAS 4, flash's hardware acceleration capabilities still aren't all that great, and flash games would likely not make very good use of a high-end card. Even if you are stuck without a dedicated graphics card, Intel's integrated graphics have been improving quite a bit over the years.
          Last edited by undefined314; 03-08-16, 06:27 AM.
          Proud user of a 12**** [BLACK] Lone Star in SAS 4.

Comment

Originally posted by undefined314 View Post

It sounds like you'll be good to go once your new system arrives. Your upload speed is a little bit concerning (although it's typical for residential connections to have upload performance throttled much more than download), but it probably won't be a big deal. I haven't observed the game using more than a few hundred KB/s of my bandwidth, and definitely not that much from me to the server (upload).

Don't worry too much about the graphics card, at least not for SAS 4. While improvements have been made to modernize SAS 4, flash's hardware acceleration capabilities still aren't all that great, and flash games would likely not make very good use of a high-end card. Even if you are stuck with without a dedicated graphics card, Intel's integrated graphics have been improving quite a bit over the years.

Thanks dude, I really appreciate the information. I feel more confident that I will be satisfied when I get it all up and running.
            Respect the classics

Comment

Yeah, if all you play are nk flash games, don't waste money on an expensive graphics card, or at least go for a desktop set up (if you want to play more graphic intensive games) and avoid the claustrophobic and practically unupgradeable laptop, which is considerably more expensive for what you'd be getting with a desktop, plus, you can put a new part into a tower with relative ease, which means it could potentially stay up to date with the hardware as long as you want it to if you don't exceed it's capacity to cool.
              Just private message me if you need something, I'll respond. http I haven't visited this linked page in months, but there are cool people to see there, maybe, I wouldn't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathsax View Post
                Yeah, if all you play are nk flash games, don't waste money on an expensive graphics card, or at least go for a desktop set up (if you want to play more graphic intensive games) and avoid the claustrophobic and practically unupgradeable laptop, which is considerably more expensive for what you'd be getting with a desktop, plus, you can put a new part into a tower with relative ease, which means it could potentially stay up to date with the hardware as long as you want it to if you don't exceed it's capacity to cool.

Thought about upgrading my current, But after some discussions with a few buddies I've come to the conclusion that after I upgrade RAM/graphics, it'll just be like an old car, fix one thing, another problem arises.

For now yes, all I play is SAS4. But I like to imagine that I'll stumble into a game like I did with this one and when that day comes i'll have something decent to play on!
                Respect the classics

Comment

During some CS events, some dudes just didn't refresh the game to artificially increase their lag - and there are most probably some other ways to do that...

Comment

Y,

this is how it works.
                    A little time ago i posted a tool so that even players with high end systems can lagtank.

Comment

Freedom of information is also freedom of misinformation, it happens, and will continue to, get over it.

"If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed." -Adolf Hitler, supposedly, but , freedom of misinformation.
                      Just private message me if you need something, I'll respond. http I haven't visited this linked page in months, but there are cool people to see there, maybe, I wouldn't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathsax View Post
                        Freedom of information is also freedom of misinformation, it happens, and will continue to, get over it.

"If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed." -Adolf Hitler, supposedly, but , freedom of misinformation.
                        a bit OT but this is from joseph goebbels, inspired by edward bernays.

Comment

Yeah, a little searching can reveal that,but misquoting seemed appropriate within the context.

Comment

Working...
                          X