Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 5 Most Overrated Towers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Top 5 Most Overrated Towers

    The experts will probably know everything in the post by heart, but for the newer players this may be helpful. The following 5 towers are the ones with the most direct rate of popularity to near uselessness.

    5. Super Monkey

    The super monkey is a good tower in late game. However, early and mid-game is where it falls short. The unupgraded 0/0 super monkey, for instance, can't even pop grouped blue sends. That's pretty sad for a $3500 tower. It only starts to get remotely useful when you get the the robo plasma or sun god upgrades, and those are way too expensive to be of practical use in mid-game or even late-ish game (rounds 20-24). Late game is where super monkey shines, although personally, I dislike using temples. I consider using bloonchippers or even spike factories to be a better late game avenue than temples with only blade sacrifices. But hey, if a super monkey shows up as my reroll I won't complain.

    4. Engineer

    The engineer is a well-liked tower by many newer players for its usefulness in early game. 1/0 and 2/0 engineers will stop a lot of bloons, if not all of them, up to round 8. But around that point, the engineer crashes. First of all, relying on cleansing foam for leads and camos is a terrible idea, as the cleansing foam becomes overwhelmed easily by normal bloons. Second of all, the bloon trap upgrade is not as good as you might think. Sure, it destroys bloon sends and gives you money from that, but the problem is that the trap doesn't keep up. What almost always happens is that the bloon trap will catch half the regrow zebras, and the other half will plow through. Come late game, the engineer's only semblance of use is the Overclock ability, and even then, stalling towers like the chipper or ninja work better.

    3. Sub

    This tower is more of a fine line than the others, because the sub is more than adequate in early and mid-game. The 0/2 upgrade for the sub just about parallels two 0/3 dart monkeys in cost and effectiveness. The most overrated upgrade of this tower is actually the reactor. No, you did not misread that. The reactor. Why, you ask? Very many Battles players will rely solely on a reactor sub to pop grouped regrows. This simply does not work. In every map except Battle Park and Bloon Circles (maybe Concrete Alley), regrow zebras and rainbows will overwhelm a reactor, leaving tightly grouped regrow yellows and pinks that not even a bunch of dart monkeys will be able to defend. An overrated bloon popping tower, to say the least. First Strike is likewise overrated, as it really doesn't do much damage compared to something like the spike factory come late game.

    2. Ninja

    Now, don't get me wrong. When used correctly, ninja is an amazing tower. Left-tiered ninjas work wonders against spaced ceramics and MOABs, and of course, who could forget about Sabotage? The problem is, people don't use it correctly. Many noobs rely solely on left-sided ninjas to pop regrow zebras and rainbows. Well, guess what...it doesn't work. To be honest, I'd think a few flash bomb ninjas would be more effective against regrows than bloonjitsus. And don't even start with me about the people who use a ninja as their very first tower--grouped reds, blues, and greens. Need I say more?

    1. Apprentice

    You all saw this one coming. The apprentice is easily the most overrated tower in the whole game--perhaps even the whole franchise post-BTD5. Honestly, I laugh out loud when I see someone try to defend my regrow rushes with a dragon's breath wizard or--even worse--a tornado wizard. Tornado wizards literally make regrow rushes MORE POWERFUL. If you don't believe me, look up "regrow farming" on YouTube and watch the first few videos. The best upgrade for wizard is probably lightning, and even then you need at least 8 to consistently defend against regrow zebras.

    Top 5 underrated towers coming soon!
    My shameless advertising:




  • #2
    apprentice 2|2 (strong) and Ninja x|1 is a good start

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Pirat View Post
      apprentice 2|2 (strong) and Ninja x|1 is a good start
      Absolutely not. A ninja wizard strat is setting you up for failure on round 13. 0/3 dart monkeys, and later on, 4/0 dart monkeys, are tremendously more effective.
      My shameless advertising:



      Comment


      • #4
        You can defend regrows if you put a 0/2 sub on strong before the reactor :x
        I saw a button that said edit post signature so I did.

        I forgot I have a Youtube channel:

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BTD Battles Scrub View Post
          You can defend regrows if you put a 0/2 sub on strong before the reactor :x
          Does that defend an all-out farm-sell regrow rainbow rush on every map? Because that's the action taken by every opponent in BFB Colloseum when I use a reactor.
          My shameless advertising:



          Comment


          • #6
            To defend an all-out rrrod you need 2 airbursts on strong and a 0/0 chipper on strong. But for zebras the one 0/2 is fine
            I saw a button that said edit post signature so I did.

            I forgot I have a Youtube channel:

            Comment


            • #7
              Bloon Traps are better than Banana Farms mid-late game, because they don't have an income cap per round.
              Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night. -Isaac Asimov

              The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by myfatcat19 View Post
                Bloon Traps are better than Banana Farms mid-late game, because they don't have an income cap per round.
                I wouldn't think so, as you need at least 3 to prevent the traps from being overwhelmed by regrows and such. You simply don't get enough money by round 13 to have 3 bloon trap engineers, especially if your opponent puts the right pressures on you.
                My shameless advertising:



                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by The Mochinator View Post

                  I wouldn't think so, as you need at least 3 to prevent the traps from being overwhelmed by regrows and such. You simply don't get enough money by round 13 to have 3 bloon trap engineers, especially if your opponent puts the right pressures on you.
                  I doesn't matter if my traps are overwhelmed, because it's not my only tower. I didn't say round 13. I said mid-late game— like rounds twenty-something and up. Before that, I have maybe 1 trap, but definitely multiple other defenses.

                  Oh, and consider Play With Fire matches. Bloon Trap becomes Bill Gates Trap. 🤑
                  Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night. -Isaac Asimov

                  The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by myfatcat19 View Post

                    I doesn't matter if my traps are overwhelmed, because it's not my only tower. I didn't say round 13. I said mid-late game— like rounds twenty-something and up. Before that, I have maybe 1 trap, but definitely multiple other defenses.

                    Oh, and consider Play With Fire matches. Bloon Trap becomes Bill Gates Trap. 🤑
                    Okay, that makes sense. The other big problem for me is that it has a very limited niche. Rounds 1-10 are too early to have a bloon trap as it is quite expensive, so you'll have to rely on bloon eco (no thanks). Rounds 11-13 are when you'll have the first bloon trap, plus whatever extra defense needed for dem regrows. At this point, your opponent will probably have the equivalent to 3 banana plantations plus the exact same defense, if not more. The one or two bloon traps probably wouldn't be able to sustain themselves enough to defend any nasty round 15 rushes and such, while the person with farms has plenty of excess. Like you said, the farm user will be ahead by a lot of income by round 20-ish, and that's where the engineer begins to shine. The problem is, the shine wears off in a few rounds as both players switch to bloon eco for late game instead. (That, or you could try defending all those ZOMG ceramics with bloon traps. Not recommended.)

                    Of course, bloon traps are good in PWF, as you get consistent bloon eco and trap eco at the same time.
                    My shameless advertising:



                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The best upgrade for the wizard is the monkey sense, not lightning, because lightning only pops 25 bloons, compared to 100 for glaive ricochet or 200 for cluster bombs. 8 lightning wizards against a rush of 15 regen rainbows will be like:
                      ​First lightning destroys to 30 zebras, then 5 zebras, 30 blacks and whites each, then 13 blacks and 12 whites get zapped and then the other blacks and whites all regen back. Then you die!

                      ​One lightning will actually make regen rushes worse unless under boost, because lightning is too slow, which kills you.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by APOGD View Post
                        The best upgrade for the wizard is the monkey sense, not lightning, because lightning only pops 25 bloons, compared to 100 for glaive ricochet or 200 for cluster bombs. 8 lightning wizards against a rush of 15 regen rainbows will be like:
                        ​First lightning destroys to 30 zebras, then 5 zebras, 30 blacks and whites each, then 13 blacks and 12 whites get zapped and then the other blacks and whites all regen back. Then you die!

                        ​One lightning will actually make regen rushes worse unless under boost, because lightning is too slow, which kills you.
                        The thing is, though, with a whopping 8 lightning wizards the bloons will be incinerated before they can regrow. Think about how many times each bloon is being attacked in less than a second. To be honest, even a couple less lightning wizards would probably work.
                        My shameless advertising:



                        Comment


                        • #13
                          5. No ones uses this so it has no place on the list.

                          4. For a while engineer was one of the best towers for defend mode and it's still good on pools if you use it correctly. I wouldn't say it's overrated, you're just pointing out all its weaknesses and how bad players use it poorly.

                          3. The reactor is not overrated, on most maps with the reactor and a few chippers you can defend an all out rainbow rush, if someone even does that, rainbows are expensive. If you get all out r13 every time then either you must have been playing horribly or you've been playing noobs.

                          2. Ninja is not overrated by anyone with common sense. It's a late game tower not early game, you're just pointing out how bad players use it incorrectly. If a bunch of noobs use like 4 0/0 chippers on an all out grouped yellow rush does that make the tower bad or overrated? No it makes the player bad. Please stop assuming most people think the ninja is better than it is.

                          1. All wizards make regrow rushes worse, not just tornado ones. Also you're acting like wizard is useless.

                          It's pretty helpful on short maps since they are cheap and will actually pop stuff since there's not enough time for it to get worse due to your towers following up on the pops quickly.
                          (Type something here...............)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by The Mochinator View Post
                            The experts will probably know everything in the post by heart, but for the newer players this may be helpful. The following 5 towers are the ones with the most direct rate of popularity to near uselessness.

                            5. Super Monkey

                            The super monkey is a good tower in late game. However, early and mid-game is where it falls short.
                            The late game stuff pretty much balances the entire tower there.
                            Originally posted by The Mochinator View Post
                            The unupgraded 0/0 super monkey, for instance, can't even pop grouped blue sends. That's pretty sad for a $3500 tower. It only starts to get remotely useful when you get the the robo plasma or sun god upgrades, and those are way too expensive to be of practical use in mid-game or even late-ish game (rounds 20-24).
                            Not true at all. Not one bit.
                            Originally posted by The Mochinator View Post
                            Late game is where super monkey shines, although personally, I dislike using temples. I consider using bloonchippers or even spike factories to be a better late game avenue than temples with only blade sacrifices.
                            Then don't use blade sacrifices.
                            Originally posted by The Mochinator View Post
                            4. Engineer

                            The engineer is a well-liked tower by many newer players for its usefulness in early game. 1/0 and 2/0 engineers will stop a lot of bloons, if not all of them, up to round 8.
                            You just proved why this tower IS NOT overrated.
                            Originally posted by The Mochinator View Post
                            But around that point, the engineer crashes. First of all, relying on cleansing foam for leads and camos is a terrible idea, as the cleansing foam becomes overwhelmed easily by normal bloons. Second of all, the bloon trap upgrade is not as good as you might think. Sure, it destroys bloon sends and gives you money from that, but the problem is that the trap doesn't keep up.
                            Then get multiple bloon traps.
                            Originally posted by The Mochinator View Post
                            What almost always happens is that the bloon trap will catch half the regrow zebras, and the other half will plow through. Come late game, the engineer's only semblance of use is the Overclock ability, and even then, stalling towers like the chipper or ninja work better.
                            You do have a point there...
                            Originally posted by The Mochinator View Post
                            3. Sub

                            This tower is more of a fine line than the others, because the sub is more than adequate in early and mid-game. The 0/2 upgrade for the sub just about parallels two 0/3 dart monkeys in cost and effectiveness. The most overrated upgrade of this tower is actually the reactor. No, you did not misread that. The reactor. Why, you ask? Very many Battles players will rely solely on a reactor sub to pop grouped regrows.
                            They don't use it to POP the bloons, they use it to TAKE AWAY regrow/camo properties so that OTHER TOWERS can pop the bloons.
                            Originally posted by The Mochinator View Post
                            This simply does not work. In every map except Battle Park and Bloon Circles (maybe Concrete Alley), regrow zebras and rainbows will overwhelm a reactor, leaving tightly grouped regrow yellows and pinks that not even a bunch of dart monkeys will be able to defend.
                            Depends on what upgrades you have for the dart monkeys. Triple darts can definately defend that.
                            Originally posted by The Mochinator View Post
                            An overrated bloon popping tower, to say the least. First Strike is likewise overrated, as it really doesn't do much damage compared to something like the spike factory come late game.
                            First Strike: can kill 20 grouped MOABS, 10 BFBS, or 1 ZOMG anywhere on the track in 1 powerup no problem.
                            Spike storm: can defend 1 ZOMG with 5 powerups. Otherwise, you have to wait until the MOAB classes get to the end and it usually just flies past your spikes. Even if you kill it, you can't defend the ceramics that come after. Also, spike machine gains power OVER TIME whereas the sub has power ALL THE TIME.

                            Originally posted by The Mochinator View Post
                            2. Ninja

                            Now, don't get me wrong. When used correctly, ninja is an amazing tower. Left-tiered ninjas work wonders against spaced ceramics and MOABs, and of course, who could forget about Sabotage? The problem is, people don't use it correctly. Many noobs rely solely on left-sided ninjas to pop regrow zebras and rainbows. Well, guess what...it doesn't work. To be honest, I'd think a few flash bomb ninjas would be more effective against regrows than bloonjitsus.
                            Doesn't mean a bad TOWER, just means a bad PLAYER.
                            Originally posted by The Mochinator View Post
                            And don't even start with me about the people who use a ninja as their very first tower--grouped reds, blues, and greens. Need I say more?
                            I have no idea what you are talking about.
                            Originally posted by The Mochinator View Post
                            1. Apprentice

                            You all saw this one coming. The apprentice is easily the most overrated tower in the whole game--perhaps even the whole franchise post-BTD5.
                            Nah, that's the Mortar by FAR.
                            Originally posted by The Mochinator View Post
                            Honestly, I laugh out loud when I see someone try to defend my regrow rushes with a dragon's breath wizard or--even worse--a tornado wizard. Tornado wizards literally make regrow rushes MORE POWERFUL. If you don't believe me, look up "regrow farming" on YouTube and watch the first few videos.
                            It pushes back the bloons. with a tempest tornado, you can keep the bloons away so that it never gets past the track. Also, your other towers will be able to handle it.
                            Originally posted by The Mochinator View Post
                            The best upgrade for wizard is probably lightning, and even then you need at least 8 to consistently defend against regrow zebras.
                            That's because The monkey Apprentice isn't good against regrows. Regular bloons get owned.

                            What you did in this post was take some of the best towers, and name them "overrated" because of really small thing that don't even reflect the point of the tower. All of these "overrated" towers are in the top 10 list for the best towers.

                            Super monkey ranks 3rd.
                            Engineer ranks 10th.
                            Sub ranks 6th.
                            Ninja ranks 5th.
                            Apprentice ranks 4th.

                            You need to actually see the goal of the existence of the tower and then judge it by that instead of judging it by the parts that they are horrible at because they were not meant for that purpose.
                            Last edited by Ptolemy2002; 23-11-16, 03:12 PM.
                            I needed a new signature and profile picture because the bloonchipper is not in the game anymore. The new tower:

                            It’s a corrosive glue gunning layer stripping road spiking buff giving MOAB exploding transforming bloon shrinking tower dependent fairly cheap banana farm. It's... The Alchemist!

                            RIP Bloonchipper. You were a good tower

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by APOGD View Post
                              The best upgrade for the wizard is the monkey sense, not lightning, because lightning only pops 25 bloons, compared to 100 for glaive ricochet or 200 for cluster bombs.
                              No. actually, it is fire breath because it gives the wizard a lot more power over regrows, which are basically it's only weakness.
                              I needed a new signature and profile picture because the bloonchipper is not in the game anymore. The new tower:

                              It’s a corrosive glue gunning layer stripping road spiking buff giving MOAB exploding transforming bloon shrinking tower dependent fairly cheap banana farm. It's... The Alchemist!

                              RIP Bloonchipper. You were a good tower

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X