Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Videos of NK Games Gameplay on YouTube; COPPA Compliance.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Videos of NK Games Gameplay on YouTube; COPPA Compliance.

With YouTube's looming new policy regarding videos that are, in their opinion, "made for kids" or "directed to kids", I was wondering how that will affect us YouTubers who make content based on NinjaKiwi games, especially Bloons games.

The upcoming new policies are explained in more detail in the following video:

https://youtu.be/-JzXiSkoFKw

Hopefully we can get a conversation going on this topic. Should we, as BloonsTubers, set all of our videos to the "made for kids" setting, just to be safe? Or is such content not actually directed toward kids in the way they are talking about?
    Last edited by Salmon; 16-11-19, 10:39 PM. Reason: Stickied for its importance.
    I'm on YouTube, Twitch, Twitter, and Facebook! Please search and follow!

i'm not a lawyer,which you may need to contact one.LOL
    i just watch videos.
    iffy on 'made for kids'.
    i would guess that would apply to game videos.
    though a lot more people in the age range of 14-100 play games then the 1-13.

personally i would select not made for kids.
    if they see different,you would get a slap on hand and change it.
    then i would select made for kids in the future.

been listing to music since i was like 6,now 48 on my roku.
    does that mean .i can't add to listen latter???
    hope not.
    i also play flash games.and watched how to videos.
    ​​​​​​​sometimes comments are as important as the video.

Comment

I remember playing video games (even ones that had mild animated violence) from a very young age, so I could see why some would consider bloons gameplay to be child-directed, or at least "child-attractive", content. I guess the best move for me right now is to wait and see what the big Bloonstubers like SJB or ISAB do.

Comment

• Salmon
        Salmon commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a waiting game right now..

I'd be on the side of saying not made for kids. IMO made for kids means that it's made directly for kids (in this case 13 and under) as the target audience, which is not likely for a bloonstuber.

Comment

Originally posted by Yamboy1 View Post
        I'd be on the side of saying not made for kids. IMO made for kids means that it's made directly for kids (in this case 13 and under) as the target audience, which is not likely for a bloonstuber.
        Hopefully you're right. It remains to be seen though, since this blog seems to suggest that any content that could attract kid viewers would fall into that category, not just content that's directed specifically at kids.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9528076

Comment

More news, and it's bad news, unfortunately. The scope of "made for kids" content is much broader than we feared. Based on these guidelines, Bloons content, and other NK gaming content, WILL be affected.

Another update from YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugztj0HNRqbEabtaomB4AaABCQ
          Last edited by Mathgodpi; 23-11-19, 01:47 AM.

Comment

It's going to be a bit of hit and miss with what Youtube put forward and will certailnly change in time. At the moment YT's scope is too broard. For example South Park contains cartoon caratcters and it's rated MA (mature audience).

The reason for the sudden change is Youtube were fined $170,000,000 (USD) by the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) on the matter

Fun fact: When signing up on Youtube, you sign a waver saying you are over 13 years old.

Comment

I have never really found video walkthroughs on Youtube for daily challenges to be all that helpfull its too hard to see or recognize what towers or upgrades are being bought. What I found the most helpful was walkthroughs by Incognito posted in text on NinjaKiwi's forum.
              Last edited by KillaZombieForMommy; 24-11-19, 02:11 AM. Reason: Misspelled fellow NK players name.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathgodpi View Post
                More news, and it's bad news, unfortunately. The scope of "made for kids" content is much broader than we feared. Based on these guidelines, Bloons content, and other NK gaming content, WILL be affected.

Another update from YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugztj0HNRqbEabtaomB4AaABCQ
                A lot of ninjakiwi's games are not just appealing to kids,I'm over 18 and like SAS4 and BTD games.It's not open minded saying its only appealing to children when adults play the game also.
                Last edited by KillaZombieForMommy; 24-11-19, 01:24 AM.

Comment

I'm not your how much of this is sensationalizing the possible implications for ad revenue on the new YT 'made for kids" system, but interesting nonetheless
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwDrHOe43E

Comment

• Locky
                    Locky commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's interesting

• Salmon
                    Salmon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm going to be honest, this entire topic confuses me so badly.. Can anyone give me a short explanation?

Originally posted by KillaZombieForMommy View Post
                  A lot of ninjakiwi's games are not just appealing to kids,I'm over 18 and like SAS4 and BTD games.It's not open minded saying its only appealing to children when adults play the game also.
                  Of course, it's appealing to kids, teens, and adults. However, it would be very naive to think that there aren't quite a number of kids watching.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...ust-kids-sites

Comment

Pewdiepie talked about this recently as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icdDPuiNwGE

Comment

In the video that Incognito posted the lawyer shared a petition: https://www.change.org/p/youtubers-a...se_react=false

Comment

Salmon commented
                        Today, 09:50 PM
                        I'm going to be honest, this entire topic confuses me so badly.. Can anyone give me a short explanation?
                        YouTube advertising system involves automatically collecting data from viewers, and then using that data to present each viewer with ads that are specifically tailored to him or her. In this way, creators make more money, YouTube makes more money, companies sell more product, and viewers are more likely to see ads that they are interested in.

For years, YouTube collected data from children that were using its platform, in violation of the COPPA law. YouTube avoided litigation by arguing that it is strictly a 13+ site, and that viewers 12 and under are not supposed to use the site, and that it had no knowledge of whether kids were actually using the site. In 2019, the FTC sued YouTube because it found strong evidence that YouTube did, in fact, have knowledge that millions of children were using the site, and having their personal information collected, in the absence of parental consent.

That's what this situation is all about - YouTube is now forced to remove all made-for-kids content from the YouTube website, and only feature it on the YouTube Kids app, where no data will be collected from viewers.

The big question mark in all this is general-audience content - the type of content that appeals to both kids and adults. What will happen to us? That's where there is still no clear answer.
                        Last edited by Mathgodpi; 26-11-19, 01:12 AM.

Comment

This is in overall a big missshot by youtube. I loved playing bloons games and SAS4 in paticular since I was freakin' 10. Till this day I have played BTD4, 5 (all versions beside deluxe) and BTD6 (got a game on mobile and Steam) + SAS4 where I ramped up to rank 70ish before the boredom kicked me out. I still regularly hop to play BTD6 when I have some spare time and there is nothing to really do.

Comment

Working...
                          X