Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early game help in hard and impop (and all I guess)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early game help in hard and impop (and all I guess)

I have a hard time consistently beating hard and impoppable, I think because my early game isn't very efficient. I've tried various combinations, and have the best luck on water maps (or maps where a buccaneer can have time-on-target to a good bit of the track) because those towers can transition into income for a reasonable price, but maps without water are more problematic and I frequently find out I screwed up in the 60s, either by getting too greedy with money spent on 2/3/0 farms and not enough on actual towers, or my strategy just isn't good enough for the stronger clumps that appear in the 60s.

Any general pointers or progression plans?

I usually take Benjamin as my hero and try to get him placed early - easy with a 0/1/0 buccaneer, a bit harder on land-only maps. I also usually try to have a 0/0/3 alchemist by the first lead round, but this doesn't always happen. (and then try to 0/0/4, 1-2/0/4 him soon after.)

edit - I should also say I don't have double cash (obviously, i don't think i'd be having a problem if i did) and don't want to use insta/powers

Benjamin is useful, however for more difficult maps I usually use Gwedolin. They've got a decent rate of fire and setting bloons alight is super useful.

Particularly for Impopable and Chimps, I use a 1-1-0 druid, which sees you through the first few rounds.

In these harder game modes, income generation is useful in the later rounds but really damages your ability to get through the early rounds. I usually focus on towers with high pop counts that are cheap (Bloonjitsu, Airburst darts, Arcane spike) and despite having less money in the later rounds, there should be enough firepower to see you through to the end. Monkey Knowledge can greatly enhance your chances of winning, particularly mana shield, more starting cash etc.
    Test your knowledge with the Ultimate BTD6 Quiz!

Comment

A 3/0/1 ninja + 0/2/2 wizard can pop every bloon up to round 39. If you manage to get these two before round 28(when leads come), you can focus on farms until round 38, then you must get prepared for the moab.
      Note: If you are using this strategy, reload the game at level 36, so wizard's wall of fire reload for the grouped pinks.

Comment

I've had mixed luck with 1/1/0 druid, sometimes it's awesome and sometimes I'm bewildered by all the leaks, but maybe that's placement. (Where you put a tower determines where variable-speed bloons converge or don't converge, for example.)

I'll play around with the 3/0/1 ninja and 0/2/2 wizard combo and see how I do.

Thanks guys.

Comment

A 3-0-1 Ninja and Gwen should get you through the early game on most maps up to round 39. Then I try to get a 3-0-2 Ace or super monkey for round 40 and then its smooth sailing from there.

Comment

Right now I'm having a huge problem with magic only and multi-track maps. First it was round 63, but I got that, now it's one of the high 70s that's killing me.

Probably need to abandon Benjamin but then I won't have money to beat 40. =P

Comment

Its probably 76 that's giving you trouble i'd imagine. If you can manage to afford a wizard with archmage they can wreck that round pretty decently. Personally i tend to go 5 0 2, that way they can see camo, and have a bit more pierce.

Comment

Originally posted by rmcin329 View Post
                Its probably 76 that's giving you trouble i'd imagine. If you can manage to afford a wizard with archmage they can wreck that round pretty decently. Personally i tend to go 5 0 2, that way they can see camo, and have a bit more pierce.
                I eventually just threw some cash crates at round one and used Benjamin. The money issue in this game is killing special modes and higher difficulty levels for me. In BTD5 some of the higher difficulty levels were challenging but not ridiculous.

In BTD6 I have no earthly idea how to finish some intermediate and all harder maps on even medium difficulty or higher because of how expensive everything is, and if it's a special mode with no real income towers there's no way in hell I can beat it.

It really feels like they made the game for spreadsheeting min-maxers and not normal people.

Comment

Originally posted by inthrees View Post
                  Right now I'm having a huge problem with magic only and multi-track maps. First it was round 63, but I got that, now it's one of the high 70s that's killing me.

Probably need to abandon Benjamin but then I won't have money to beat 40. =P
                  Exactly why this game is difficult. Not to mention that we also have B.A.D.s and C.H.I.M.P.S. .

Comment

Most of the time I can handle 63 and 76-79, but round 95 is flattening me.

Comment

whats worked out for me most of the time is a 2-0-1 ninja start, rush churchill (if ur greedy get a 1-0-4 alchemist) and a 4-0-2 alchemist and a 0-0-0 super monkey (which you can get everything before round 40) that can usually keep me going till round 60 - 62, then u have lots of monies to spend on whatever u want. (around 19k)

Comment

Don't get too greedy. You don't need farms to beat this game. After all, people have beaten CHIMPS on all but the Expert maps. If you really want to farm, a single 2/3/0 bank is more than enough.

The key to winning is alchemists. A 4/0/0 can buff three towers nearly constantly, and most towers get at least twice as powerful with the alchemist buff, with some reaching 5 or 6 times as powerful. Try to avoid putting weak or non-attacking towers (except other alchemists) in an alchemist's range. The best all-purpose attacking towers to use with alchemists include:
                        4/0/1 ninjas. Though if you get a grandmaster ninja, you want him to have distraction instead of seeking shuriken.
                        5/0/2 wizard. Once you get your archmage, feel free to get more 4/0/2 wizards- they're also pretty powerful.
                        2/0/3 super monkeys. Get a 0/0/2 village to make them noticeably cheaper.
                        The best part is that all three of those towers can detect camo, so if you're just using those, you don't even need to get radar scanner.
                        2/0/5 heli pilot is incredibly powerful as well, but it needs radar scanner to detect camo, and MIB to pop DDTs.

Pick Gwendolyn as your hero. She's just the best in every way. She has the strongest raw power, even more than Captail Churchill because he levels slower. At level 17, every time she uses her fire burst attack, every tower in range gets an alchemist-like buff, so put your best towers in her range. Her abilities also basically instakill ceramics and below, though super ceramics can still be troublesome.

If you're having trouble with DDTs, they can be slowed with 0/4/0 ninja ability, 0/2/3 glue under a radar scanner, and/or 0/0/5 ice under radar scanner. Icicle impale annihilates blimps, though you need either metal freeze or MIB to damage DDTs.
                        If you're having trouble with the BAD, get a 0/5/0 bomb or spam 3/0/0 aces.

Comment

Working...
                        X