Possible ways to improve Ice Monkey?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible ways to improve Ice Monkey?

The Ice Monkey is still really weak in my opinion, and I think a lot of the upgrades need some massive makeovers. All upgrades of the Ice Monkey, with exception of Icicle Impale (which is considered a good tower), are regarded as weak, especially with the pierce caps. Now the Ice Monkey is even weaker than the Glue Gunner now. The Ice Monkey is now the new BTD5 Glue Gunner.

Below are my type of upgrade balance changes that I think would make the upgrades of the Ice Monkey balanced:

Path 1:
    • Permafrost - (Note: Keep this upgrade the same) - $100
    • Metal Freeze - (Note: Keep this upgrade the same) - $300
    • Ice Shards - (Note: Keep this upgrade the same) - $1500
    • Embrittlement - Also allow bloons frozen by this tower or Super Brittle to allow frozen bloons to be popped by frozen-immune projectiles, because it makes makes sense for bloons to become so brittle that anything could smash them. Plus, it's a lot more worth the cost of the original upgrade. Still keep the 40 pierce. - $3000
    • Super Brittle - Make it able to act like a BTD5 Ice Shards, because it'll maximize the superpower of the Super Brittle. And I reckon this suggestion wouldn't be problematic because the pop limit for all Ice Monkeys already exists. Still keep the 40 pierce.

Path 2:
    • Enhanced Freeze - Also make it able to increase pierce limit to 50. Helps make it on par with the other pierce bonuses of Path 2. It's an enhanced freeze so why should it not have a pierce limit to 50? - $225
    • Deep Freeze - (Note: Keep this upgrade the same) - $350
    • Arctic Wind - Also increase range by a moderate amount by default as well as increasing pierce to 250. For $6500 on Medium, this is more of what I expected for something that would excel against normal bloons without being OP like in BTD5. - $6500
    • Snowstorm - (Note: Keep this upgrade the same) - $1800
    • Absolute Zero - Needs an absolute change. For this price, I want it to have infinite pierce (or perhaps up to 2500) and also slow all non-MOAB-class in range by 66% and slow all MOAB-class in range (except BAD) by 15%, stackable with the current Absolute Zero ability. Then it'd be much more comparable to Icicle Impale especially on CHIMPS, in which no towers may be sold. Keep the Absolute Zero ability the same, because I reckon my own suggestions is by far the more long-term better option without making Absolute Zero absolutely OP. - $32,000

Path 3:
    • Larger Radius - (Note: Keep this upgrade the same) - $100
    • Re-Freeze - (Note: Keep this upgrade the same) - $200
    • Cryo Cannon - I think this upgrade needs a price change along with a minor change. First up, the upgrade at its current state its ice explosions are too small to make the flexible shooting worthwhile. Secondly, it still tends to struggle against stalling the bloons. Increase the blast radius a bit larger to make the $2000 more worthwhile without drilling deep into Monkey Knowledge; otherwise just decrease price to $1350. Also make it able to shoot MOAB-class but not freeze them (similar to Glue Gunner) because the Glue Gunner still deals better than Ice Monkey against MOAB-class. - $1350 (down from $2000)
    • Icicles - As with Cryo Cannon, I reckon it should also shoot MOAB-class. And if the iceball directly hits a MOAB-class bloon, make it deal 5 damage to the MOAB-class bloon without the icicling effect that normal bloons would do. Often, the icicles are always popped by other approaching bloons, which renders the Icicles less useful against damaging MOAB-class. Icicles still is more tolerant against preventing overwhelmment, but it's still rather weak for the $2000 pricetag. My suggestion would make it more useful as a flexible tower against various types of bloon. - $2000
    • Icicle Impale - (Note: Keep this upgrade the same) - $30,000

If I can complete any Daily Challenge NAPS, then it should be extremely easy to complete.

I agree, the ice tower has become one of the weakest towers, and it's upgrades could do with a rework. Primarily, I think that it has a too expensive initial cost, and should be at least half price. Also it's range is so small that it can't really do all too much, and therefore even if it did have good upgrades it wouldn't be used as dart monkeys can do way more damage for a smaller cost. Considering most other towers have upgrades that help counteract frozen bloons, it seems a waste that the ice towers themselves never make a viable strategy

One thing that's good about the ice tower is the icicle impale upgrade which is great for late game.
    Test your knowledge with the Ultimate BTD6 Quiz!

Comment

The only time I'd use Arctic Wind is with a Monkey Village and Obyn's level 11 range boost. Otherwise, I pass up the tower in general.

Comment

Embrittlement should already work this way currently?
        No badgers were harmed in the making of this forum. Most likely. I'm like, 75% sure. But don't quote me on that or I'll have to harm a badger.

Comment

Wait so do shards just not pop frozen bloons or do you need something else to release the shards coz I couldn’t get ice shards to work at all.

AZ slows MOABs to 1/2 speed for about 10s and DDTs get slowed to a crawl. Only the top layer is slowed like sabo.
          I saw a button that said edit post signature so I did.

I forgot I have a Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ0...Fww_A1N9cIWF_g

Comment

Originally posted by Rohan Sharpe Anforth View Post
            Apparently Embrittlement does not allow its frozen bloons to be popped by non-special upgrades. Totally not what I was expecting of an upgrade called “Embrittlement”.
            If I can complete any Daily Challenge NAPS, then it should be extremely easy to complete.

Comment

except icicle impale, ice tower is pretty much trash. IMO It needs a little range increase because I'm basically forced to use the range upgrade to make it effective.

I think the higher tier upgrades need a pierce boost.
              Embrittlement - 100 Pierce
              Super Brittle - 500 Pierce. Currently it's not really worth the price

Arctic Wind - Range increase, pierce to 100 -> 500
              Absolute Zero - AW gets pierce to 300 -> 10000 and can freeze white and zebra.

Cryo Cannon - Bigger Explosion
              Last edited by sniper 355; Yesterday, 08:52 AM.
              I'm Rocketicewave on the new site, 41920 AP.
              BTD5 Rank: 99. Cities: 40/40. Knowledge: all Maxed
              my challenges, overhauled ratings
              If you need help testing DCs, send me a PM and I'll help you.

Comment

Arctic wind already has 100 pierce -_-
                I saw a button that said edit post signature so I did.

I forgot I have a Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ0...Fww_A1N9cIWF_g

Comment

Originally posted by Rohan Sharpe Anforth View Post
                  If you mean that 4/x/x ice tower allow any projectile to pop frozen bloons, this is not true.

Comment

Working...
                  X