Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best and worst upgrades in BTD6

**Updated to match the version 6 update**

BTD6 was released a few months ago, so of course there will be ongoing changes in the future. Also, there are always going to be upgrades that are weaker than others, but here are the upgrades that are currently the strongest and weakest of the bunch (in my opinion)

Worst

5th: Monkey City (Village: x-x-4)
    Yup, let's spend $3000 on a monkey city upgrade which means I'll be making a saving of $200 each dart monkey after my 15th free one (when the cost has been recovered). Better off spending my money elsewhere (unless you want a monkeyopolis or more range, of course)

4th: Elite Defender (Sniper: x-x-5)
    For a tier 5 upgrade you would expect something a little more... useful. At least bomb blitz actually destroys things, and legend of the night stops future leaks, but as for the elite defender - the money's best used elsewhere.

3rd: Tsar Bomba (Ace: x-5-x)
    Considering it's a colossal bomb, late game it does not much noticeable damage. Additionally, the darts from this plane are sparse and weak

2nd: Snowstorm (Ice monkey: x-4-x)
    When you need to get entire-map poppability, snowstorm has absolutely zero reasons to choose it. Barely freezes bloons for any reasonable duration, it also means many towers can't attack most of the frozen bloons anyway. White and zebra bloons are also immune. When in doubt, get a glue strike which can do a lot of popping for a similar cost, and the base tower is a bit stronger.

1st: Primary Mentoring (Village: 4-x-x)
    In the reasonably small radius of this village, you will need a lot of free first upgrades of your dart, tacks, ice, glue and bombs to make your money back. A free upgrade of any tower's first upgrade would be nice, especially as it's limited to the village's radius.

Other mentions include the 13th upgrade for Quincy (and some other heroes) and super mines.

Best

5th: Carrier flagship (Buccaneer: 5-x-x)
    Although placing monkeys on the upper deck and boosting water towers' attack speed are useful, the planes themselves can do a lot of damage across the entire map, and can even take down a ZOMG providing the track is long enough. The spectre (ace: x-x-4) is also quite useful and acts quite similarly.

4th: Shattering Shells (Mortar: x-x-4)
    Removing the fortifications off Moab-class bloons can be a great help in rounds 80+ but can also come in handy in alternate bloons rounds, especially as it comes with signal flares.

3rd: Recursive Cluster (Bomb shooter: x-x-4)
    Quite weak before it was buffed, the recursive cluster can now pop oodles of ceramic bloons every second shot. Combined with a few alchemists or Striker Jones you will never need to worry about bloons again. Get a lot of them for even more unstoppability!

2nd: Vengeful Temple of the Monkey God (Super monkey: 5-x-x (& x-5-x, x-x-5))
    Expensive? yes. Powerful? Absolutely! Not to mention the buffs it provides to other towers including more firepower, better abilities and cheaper universal upgrades!

1st: Archmage (Wizard: 5-x-x)
    Wow! Although the top most path of the wizard monkey's upgrades lack novelty, the archmage can provide unbelievable power. With a ludicrously fast rate of fire, a super long dragon's breath attack and shimmer all in one, he's a must for wizard fanatics! Arcane spike (4-x-x) is also super-powerful for it's cost, not only does it do extra moab damage but also extra popping power, faster rate of fire and can even pop those pesky purples!

Notable mentions include Glaive lord (pops literally everything), Superstorm (sends everything back to the start), Grandmaster ninja (pops lots of stuff) and Wall of trees (a good last line of defence)

What do you think of this list? Are there any more upgrades you would add that you find inexcusably useless or superbly powerful?

If you're wondering, here's what the list looked like back in June when BTD6 was released:
    (The spoiler tab is used for conciseness)

Spoiler:

Worst

5th: IMF loan (Banana farm: x-4-x)
    Why spend $12,000 in order to get an ability that grants $10,000 that has to be paid back? You'll technically be always $2000 down from where you could otherwise be...

4th: Monkey City (Village: x-x-4)
    Yup, let's spend $3000 on a monkey city upgrade which means I'll be making a saving of $200 each dart monkey after my 15th free one (when the cost has been recovered). Better off spending my money elsewhere (unless you want a monkeyopolis, of course)

3rd: Primary Mentoring (Village: 4-x-x)
    In the reasonably small radius of this village, you will need a lot of free first upgrades of your dart, tacks, ice, glue and bombs to make your money back. A free upgrade of any tower's first upgrade would be nice, especially as it's limited to the village's radius.

2nd: Soulbind (Wizard monkey: x-x-5)
    When all your lives have gone, the last thing you want is your towers to be sacrificed in order to recover the equivalent lives for a handful of ceramics. You'll be even weaker and probably lose during the next round. The wizard's 5th upgrade should upgrade to allow moab-class bloons to be re-animated - that would be amazing!

1st: Striker Jones (The entire hero himself)
    Boost the abilities of bomb shooters, and fires a quite large rocket launcher. Ok, I suppose, but compared with Quincey's ricocheting arrows, Obyn's wall of trees, and Gwendolin's burning capabilities, he's a bit pathetic. Maybe with mortars in a future update he may be more powerful. A noteworthy mention here is Obyn's brambles which are weak to the point of unnecessary.

Best

5th: Moab Domination (Boomerang thrower: x-x-5)
    With unlimited range, these moab crushing boomerangs can send ZOMGs hurtling back down the track and do some hefty damage too!

4th: Wall of Trees (Obyn)
    Plant these trees and the bloons won't stand a chance! Can be a great line of defence, and has a relatively short recharge.

3rd: Superstorm (Druid: 5-x-x)
    Cascades of lightning and the capability to send ZOMGs back to the start is just phenomenal! Nothing can get past this tower, although watch out for regen rushes.

2nd: Bloon master alchemist (Alchemist: x-x-5)
    Round 80. ZOMG appears. Alchemist throws potion. ZOMG disappears. This upgrade can rack up staggeringly high pop counts for this awesome alchemist.

1st: Perma-spikes (Spike factory: x-x-5)
    Plonk a perma-spike tower at the end of the track (and provided nothing has been recently popped) it can bring down an entire BAD on it's own! For only $22,000! No doubt it will be nerfed at some point...

Over 50,000 views! That is AMAZING
    Last edited by Zeni; 04-12-18, 06:58 PM.
    Test your knowledge with the !

I kind of afraid of posting my favourite upgrade, because there is a high risk that NK will nerf it...

But while I always disliked tack shooters, I think in this game they became almost gods. A 2-0-5 tack is a really nice tower for a reasonable price.

But yeah, Primary mentoring is a really bad upgrade. If the village had a much bigger range then maybe, but as of now it's a really bad upgrade.

I noticed that while in itself the Alchemist is a pretty weak tower, its Unstable Concotion is a pretty reliable upgrade too.

Except of that, I pretty much use the same strategy I used in BTD 5.

Comment

Only two paths at a time will make some towers not as effective as it should. I suggest all three paths should be able to be upgraded in the same tower but with price increased or nerf some upgrades. The third path of Alchemist is very interesting. It can make much more cash to allow the player to build more towers, but the last tier is useless to BAD, but very useful to other MOAB-class Bloons.

Comment

Worst
        Definitely Monkey City. It would be useful if there was Monkey Knowledge for the exploding dart effect like the unlockable in BTD5, but its 100% useless as is.

Best
        Pre-Emptive strike, never worry about DDTs again.

Comment

The bionic boomer is better in 6. It seems to have no problems with 5-spaced rainbows. Definitely worth the $1600 upgrade.
          The game says: the bloons have taken over your town
          Green and white Take It Back button appears
          But only in the tutorial
          I tweeted my silly fanfic @jasonc65

Monkeys are real
          Bombs are real
          #takeitback is real

Comment

I do find it funny that Obyn has the Wall of Trees, which is a great ability that has huge amount of bloon popping power while giving you money, yet he also has Brambles, which is completely useless and isn't even worth activating. Ninja Kiwi, pls fix brambles
            Check this out if you're cool

Comment

Originally posted by Zeni View Post
              BTD6 has only just been released, so of course there will be changes in the future. Also, there are always going to be upgrades that are weaker than others, but as for now here are the upgrades that are the strongest and weakest of the bunch (in my opinion)

Worst

5th: IMF loan (Banana farm: x-4-x)
              Why spend $12,000 in order to get an ability that grants $10,000 that has to be paid back? You'll technically be always $2000 down from where you could otherwise be...

4th: Monkey City (Village: x-x-4)
              Yup, let's spend $3000 on a monkey city upgrade which means I'll be making a saving of $200 each dart monkey after my 15th free one (when the cost has been recovered). Better off spending my money elsewhere (unless you want a monkeyopolis, of course)

3rd: Primary Mentoring (Village: 4-x-x)

2nd: Soulbind (Wizard monkey: x-x-5)
              When all your lives have gone, the last thing you want is your towers to be sacrificed in order to recover the equivalent lives for a handful of ceramics. You'll be even weaker and probably lose during the next round. The wizard's 5th upgrade should upgrade to allow moab-class bloons to be re-animated - that would be amazing!

1st: Striker Jones (The entire hero himself)
              Boost the abilities of bomb shooters, and fires a quite large rocket launcher. Ok, I suppose, but compared with Quincey's ricocheting arrows, Obyn's wall of trees, and Gwendolin's burning capabilities, he's a bit pathetic. Maybe with mortars in a future update he may be more powerful. A noteworthy mention here is Obyn's brambles which are weak to the point of unnecessary.

Best

5th: Moab Domination (Boomerang thrower: x-x-5)
              With unlimited range, these moab crushing boomerangs can send ZOMGs hurtling back down the track and do some hefty damage too!

4th: Wall of Trees (Obyn)
              Plant these trees and the bloons won't stand a chance! Can be a great line of defence, and has a relatively short recharge.

3rd: Superstorm (Druid: 5-x-x)
              Cascades of lightning and the capability to send ZOMGs back to the start is just phenomenal! Nothing can get past this tower, although watch out for regen rushes.

2nd: Bloon master alchemist (Alchemist: x-x-5)
              Round 80. ZOMG appears. Alchemist throws potion. ZOMG disappears. This upgrade can rack up staggeringly high pop counts for this awesome alchemist.

1st: Perma-spikes (Spike factory: x-x-5)
              Plonk a perma-spike tower at the end of the track (and provided nothing has been recently popped) it can bring down an entire BAD on it's own! For only $22,000! No doubt it will be nerfed at some point...

Notable mentions include the Pirate Lord (for dragging down ZOMGs,) Arctic Wind (for allowing towers to be placed on water), Glaive Lord's unlimited bloon shredding power and the life-saving Legend of the Night!

What do you think of this list? Are there any more upgrades you would add that you find inexcusably useless or superbly powerful?
              I think the point is that Striker Jones will affect the upcoming Mortar Monkeys and Dartlings too, so that would help make him more powerful.
              If I can complete any Daily Challenge NAPS, then it should be extremely easy to complete.

Comment

I hadn’t noticed that Arctic Winds let you place land towers on water, that’s really cool!

Comment

soulbind is soo bad

Comment

Lol ur acting like mauler spam under a village was never a thing and that brambles is terrible because it can stop early leaks or shrink a rush by 20 bloons or chip off one of the two r38 ceramics.
                    I saw a button that said edit post signature so I did.

I forgot I have a Youtube channel:

Comment

I personally don't like Ice Towers as a whole in this game, but I would have to say Arctic Wind is pretty lackluster, especially considering how it used to be in the previous games. Maybe that's intentional, but idk

Comment

Absolute Zero in this game is ripoff compared to the insane value in BTD5 Mobile. For $25000K or so for the upgrade alone, it only freezes MOAB-class in place for 2 seconds. And that’s only the power of the Mortar’s old Pop and Awe ability mechanics, and even that costs less than this Absolute Zero. I expected much better freeze, like 8-second freeze of MOAB-class or something, cos it just ain’t worth the power at the moment, and 5th-tiers are meant to be super powerful.
                        If I can complete any Daily Challenge NAPS, then it should be extremely easy to complete.

Comment

Originally posted by T3hHappyEmo View Post
                          Worst
                          Definitely Monkey City. It would be useful if there was Monkey Knowledge for the exploding dart effect like the unlockable in BTD5, but its 100% useless as is.

Best
                          Pre-Emptive strike, never worry about DDTs again.
                          For the Monkey City, I think it would be more useful if it was free all Primary towers or perhaps something where the discount would apply to all upgrades of towers.

Comment

Soulbind synergies with monkey city and a few other upgrades but it's not a basic strategy cause it involves seeing various different dominoed effects stacking together for a bunch of last second reprieves.
                            Soulbind your free monkeys to the wizard, each gives you 5 lives when you've leaked and are at 0 (or bellow).
                            Bomb shooter xx5 will destroy everything smaller than BFB after any leak (so long as there's at least 1 life left) I'm hoping this takes out the DDTs too
                            Sniper xx5 will get a 4x shooting speed boost when lives are lost to take out/slow the larger Moab Class
                            Super monkey xx5 has some effect when lives are lost
                            Druid xx2 gains power for losing lives and more vengeance stacks together for an excellent end of track backup popping team.
                            Banana farmer x5x has the ability but also says something about too big to fail which might be a special ability to do with losing.

Comment

I personally agree with most stuff, but I have some disagreements.

First of all I disagree on putting IFN Loan on the worst list. The payoff doesn't take off your cash, it's just that you can't use the Loan ability and takes a bit from your income buildup. Really, it's the best tier 4 to go to out of the others, it gives most cash.

I really think Legend of the Night (x/x/5 Super Monkey) should be added to this list. It costs freaking 200k cash, it works only if you leak and for a short, and after that, unless you rebuy it, it no longer works. I can see it being used if you farm lives with Chinook and a DDT Chains leaks but... 200k? For a one time use?

and on topic of Super Monkey, Dark Champion (x/x/4 Super) should be added to best. It's pretty damn sick at popping everything.

also The Flying Fortress... it can even solo a BAD. It's sick.
                              I'm Rocketicewave on the new site, 41920 AP.
                              BTD5 Rank: 99. Cities: 40/40. Knowledge: all Maxed
                              f you need help testing DCs, send me a PM and I'll help you.

Comment

Working...
                              X