Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zeni View Post
    **Updated to match the version 4 update**

BTD6 was only been released a few months ago, so of course there will be changes in the future. Also, there are always going to be upgrades that are weaker than others, but here are the upgrades that are currently the strongest and weakest of the bunch (in my opinion)

Worst

5th: Monkey City (Village: x-x-4)
    Yup, let's spend $3000 on a monkey city upgrade which means I'll be making a saving of $200 each dart monkey after my 15th free one (when the cost has been recovered). Better off spending my money elsewhere (unless you want a monkeyopolis or more range, of course)

4th: Tsar Bomba (Ace: x-5-x)
    Considering it's a colossal bomb, late game it does not much noticeable damage. Additionally, the plane's damage when this upgrade isn't in use, is very very weak

3rd: Primary Mentoring (Village: 4-x-x)
    In the reasonably small radius of this village, you will need a lot of free first upgrades of your dart, tacks, ice, glue and bombs to make your money back. A free upgrade of any tower's first upgrade would be nice, especially as it's limited to the village's radius.

2nd: Elite Defender (Sniper: x-x-5)
    For a tier 5 upgrade you would expect something a little more... useful. At least bomb blitz actually destroys things, and legend of the night stops future leaks, but as for the elite defender - the money's best used elsewhere

1st: Striker Jones (The entire hero himself)
    Boost the abilities of bomb shooters, and fires a quite large rocket launcher. Ok, I suppose, but compared with Quincy's ricocheting arrows, Obyn's wall of trees, Gwendolin's burning capabilities, Benjamin's cash and hack tactics and Churchill's piercing rockets, he's a bit pathetic. Maybe with mortars in a future update he may be more powerful.

Other mentions include the 13th upgrade for Quincy, Super mines and Absolute zero...

Best

5th: IMF Loan (Banana Farm: x-4-x)
    Arguably one of the worst upgrades before the v4 update. Now it effectively gives you 4k just because it can! A great way to boost up your money to afford those costly tier 5 upgrades a few rounds earlier.

4th: Bloon master alchemist (Alchemist: x-x-5)
    Round 80. ZOMG appears. Alchemist throws potion. ZOMG disappears. This upgrade can rack up staggeringly high pop counts for this awesome alchemist.

3rd: Superstorm (Druid: 5-x-x)
    Cascades of lightning and the capability to send ZOMGs back to the start is just phenomenal! Nothing can get past this tower, although watch out for regen rushes.

2nd: Vengeful Temple of the Monkey God (Super monkey: 5-x-x (& x-5-x, x-x-5))
    Expensive? yes. Powerful? Absolutely! Not to mention the buffs it provides to other towers including more firepower, better abilities and cheaper universal upgrades!

1st: Archmage (Wizard: 5-x-x)
    Wow! Although the top most path of the wizard monkey's upgrades lack novelty, the archmage can provide unbelievable power. With a ludicrously fast rate of fire, a super long dragon's breath attack and shimmer all in one, he's a must for wizard fanatics! Arcane spike (4-x-x) is also super-powerful for it's cost.

Notable mentions include Bloon Trojan, Bloonjitsu, Airburst darts, Full auto rifle, Wall of Trees and Flying fortress

What do you think of this list? Are there any more upgrades you would add that you find inexcusably useless or superbly powerful?

If you're wondering, here's what the list looked like back in June when BTD6 was released:

Spoiler:

Worst

5th: IMF loan (Banana farm: x-4-x)
    Why spend $12,000 in order to get an ability that grants $10,000 that has to be paid back? You'll technically be always $2000 down from where you could otherwise be...

4th: Monkey City (Village: x-x-4)
    Yup, let's spend $3000 on a monkey city upgrade which means I'll be making a saving of $200 each dart monkey after my 15th free one (when the cost has been recovered). Better off spending my money elsewhere (unless you want a monkeyopolis, of course)

3rd: Primary Mentoring (Village: 4-x-x)
    In the reasonably small radius of this village, you will need a lot of free first upgrades of your dart, tacks, ice, glue and bombs to make your money back. A free upgrade of any tower's first upgrade would be nice, especially as it's limited to the village's radius.

2nd: Soulbind (Wizard monkey: x-x-5)
    When all your lives have gone, the last thing you want is your towers to be sacrificed in order to recover the equivalent lives for a handful of ceramics. You'll be even weaker and probably lose during the next round. The wizard's 5th upgrade should upgrade to allow moab-class bloons to be re-animated - that would be amazing!

1st: Striker Jones (The entire hero himself)
    Boost the abilities of bomb shooters, and fires a quite large rocket launcher. Ok, I suppose, but compared with Quincey's ricocheting arrows, Obyn's wall of trees, and Gwendolin's burning capabilities, he's a bit pathetic. Maybe with mortars in a future update he may be more powerful. A noteworthy mention here is Obyn's brambles which are weak to the point of unnecessary.

Best

5th: Moab Domination (Boomerang thrower: x-x-5)
    With unlimited range, these moab crushing boomerangs can send ZOMGs hurtling back down the track and do some hefty damage too!

4th: Wall of Trees (Obyn)
    Plant these trees and the bloons won't stand a chance! Can be a great line of defence, and has a relatively short recharge.

3rd: Superstorm (Druid: 5-x-x)
    Cascades of lightning and the capability to send ZOMGs back to the start is just phenomenal! Nothing can get past this tower, although watch out for regen rushes.

2nd: Bloon master alchemist (Alchemist: x-x-5)
    Round 80. ZOMG appears. Alchemist throws potion. ZOMG disappears. This upgrade can rack up staggeringly high pop counts for this awesome alchemist.

1st: Perma-spikes (Spike factory: x-x-5)
    Plonk a perma-spike tower at the end of the track (and provided nothing has been recently popped) it can bring down an entire BAD on it's own! For only $22,000! No doubt it will be nerfed at some point...
    Yeah. Elite defender is useless. If it requires losing lives to take place, then you'll realize that it wasn't really worth it.

Striker Jones. Of course. I wouldn't even think about him when playing a typical game of BTD6.

Comment

I only ever use Monkey City to expand my Monkey Town range so I can place more towers for my Monkey Town benefits. Other than that, it's useless.
      If I can complete any Daily Challenge NAPS, then it should be extremely easy to complete.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperTrooper View Post

Yeah. Elite defender is useless. If it requires losing lives to take place, then you'll realize that it wasn't really worth it.

Striker Jones. Of course. I wouldn't even think about him when playing a typical game of BTD6.
        Jones is now one of the best heroes, though. His super fast cooldown stuns on moabs simply can’t be ignored. In later rounds he’s like a weak bloon crush that only costed you $810 to place. With the new recursive cluster buff, pretty much all grouped bloons are irrelevant when accompanied with Jones at lv. 9.

Comment

Worst:

5th: IMF Loan - The price has been reduced so that it would be worth buying, but it doesn't even work correctly. Using multiple IMF Loans in concession will greatly reduce the money you get.
          4th: Absolute Zero - It is the most expensive 5th tier for the ice tower, but is the worst one. Snowstorm already affects MOAB class (I have seen this many times) and there are not enough cold immune bloons to justify the price.
          3rd: Elite Defender - Doesn't stop me from losing lives, so it is ineffective.
          2nd: Sun Temple - It is a bad upgrade unless you give sacrifices, which are an extra like $200,000 to the cost. This makes the upgrade WAY too expensive. It also costs too much XP.
          1st: True Sun God - Costs 5 times as much as the sun temple, and is not 5 times better. Also, to get full power you have to sacrifice again, making this upgrade WAY too expensive.

Best:

5th: Stronger Stimulant - Allows pretty much all towers to get ridiculously powerful, turning them into great lead protection.
          4th: Spirit of the Forest - Can kill unlimited ceramics with a medium length track.
          3rd: Bloon Master Alchemist - ZOMG, DDT, whatever is dead.
          2nd: Monkey Commerce - Can ultimately bring hard prices down to easy ones.
          1st: Perma-Spike - Can kill pretty much unlimited of any bloon except BAD, and can kill almost 2 BADs with only 1-round old spikes on long maps. Can kill 1 BAD with only 1 round old spikes on medium maps. Can pretty much kill the BAD on any map with all of its spikes.
          I needed a new signature and profile picture because the bloonchipper is not in the game anymore. The new tower:

It’s a corrosive glue gunning layer stripping road spiking buff giving MOAB exploding transforming bloon shrinking tower dependent fairly cheap banana farm. It's... The Alchemist!

RIP Bloonchipper. You were a good tower

Comment

Thanks for this list, I just got the game a few days ago so this is helpful.

Comment

x-x-5 Dart monkey is the best for me, the fact that you can have 2 of em is really nice.

Comment

Master Alchemist is the most OP tower I've found yet for under 50k. I have yet to see any other tower that can go from nothing to almost a million pops in 20-30 waves.

Comment

Here's my list of worst upgrades:

Worst:
                  • 5th: Longer Reach (Spike Factory). Utterly useless. Weakens your spike production in general. Pretty much speaking, Spike Factory can already lob over obstacles, so we don't need something that broadens accuracy. You literally need to shell out more money to fix its reliability. Spend $150 for something better.
                  • 4th: MOAB Domination. $75,000 and its pushbacks are too weak and slow. For $75,000, simply get more MOAB Pushes plus some MOAB Shoves and that will push them back well as well as doing decent damage. Much more reliable than this MOAB Domination.
                  • 3rd: Bomb Blitz. Worse than Elite Defender in my opinion. The only bonus besides ability is the always recursive bombs plus Black Bloon popping, but just get a MIB and more Recursives. With Elite Defender, he shoots really fast normally, making him better than Bomb Blitz for a lower price than $35,000.
                  • 2nd: Wizard Lord Phoenix. Still shoots very slowly and unreliably for $90,000. By the time you can afford him, it would be like Round 80+ or so, and not even his ability is enough to save you from massive MOAB-class rushes, or even Super Ceramic rushes. I could get like better defense for $90,000, like approx 3 or so Spectres under a MIB and that would do even better for $90,000 and that isn't even an ability.
                  • 1st: Glue Storm. Why spend $15,000 on an upgrade whose initial cooldown still exists and its only purpose is glue storming the entire screen for longer duration? Absolutely garbage. Just purchase more Glue Strikers to back up if you need extra glue storms, but by then you've got better forms of glue defense such as replacing Path 2 Glues with Bloon Liquefiers or MOAB Glues.
                  If I can complete any Daily Challenge NAPS, then it should be extremely easy to complete.

Comment

Originally posted by qwertyxp2000 View Post
                    Here's my list of worst upgrades:

Worst:
                    • 5th: Longer Reach (Spike Factory). Utterly useless. Weakens your spike production in general. Pretty much speaking, Spike Factory can already lob over obstacles, so we don't need something that broadens accuracy. You literally need to shell out more money to fix its reliability. Spend $150 for something better.
                    • 4th: MOAB Domination. $75,000 and its pushbacks are too weak and slow. For $75,000, simply get more MOAB Pushes plus some MOAB Shoves and that will push them back well as well as doing decent damage. Much more reliable than this MOAB Domination.
                    • 3rd: Bomb Blitz. Worse than Elite Defender in my opinion. The only bonus besides ability is the always recursive bombs plus Black Bloon popping, but just get a MIB and more Recursives. With Elite Defender, he shoots really fast normally, making him better than Bomb Blitz for a lower price than $35,000.
                    • 2nd: Wizard Lord Phoenix. Still shoots very slowly and unreliably for $90,000. By the time you can afford him, it would be like Round 80+ or so, and not even his ability is enough to save you from massive MOAB-class rushes, or even Super Ceramic rushes. I could get like better defense for $90,000, like approx 3 or so Spectres under a MIB and that would do even better for $90,000 and that isn't even an ability.
                    • 1st: Glue Storm. Why spend $15,000 on an upgrade whose initial cooldown still exists and its only purpose is glue storming the entire screen for longer duration? Absolutely garbage. Just purchase more Glue Strikers to back up if you need extra glue storms, but by then you've got better forms of glue defense such as replacing Path 2 Glues with Bloon Liquefiers or MOAB Glues.
                    Wizard lord phenox has a slightly bigger dragons breath but other wise without the abillity meh
                    *super monkey memes*

Comment

Striker Jones is not that bad, he has a fairly insane fire rate and makes occasional explosions work against DDTs (I think), and is the only hero that can STUN! Even though what he buffs is weak, it does not cause him to be weak.
                      My opinion on BTD5-->BTD6
                      1st, you can't make 2d bloons go into a 3d tower.
                      2nd, they might add those towers eventually.
                      3rd, we have to wait. BTD6 has not had enough time to develop as BTD5 has.

Comment

I disagree with the Striker Jones. Yes, he is an extremely situational hero but with all of those bomb shooter boosts it actually makes them quite powerful. For example with only 1 outside force (Village) a bomb shooter under Striker Jones could have the same popping power, possibly more, as a camo-seeinf Apprentice.

Comment

honestly are all the tier 5 upgrades bad? cause I honestly can't imagine any of them being worth the insane price tag they have on them

Comment

Originally posted by pikminbiomaster View Post
                            honestly are all the tier 5 upgrades bad? cause I honestly can't imagine any of them being worth the insane price tag they have on them
                            I would say you are incorrect. Most are balanced, but others are just weak. None are insanely OP compared to the rest, but I find 5xx and xx5 ice monkeys stand out, but xx5 heli is probably the most OP you can get, while combined with a 4xx alchemist.
                            My opinion on BTD5-->BTD6
                            1st, you can't make 2d bloons go into a 3d tower.
                            2nd, they might add those towers eventually.
                            3rd, we have to wait. BTD6 has not had enough time to develop as BTD5 has.

Comment

The IMF loan. x-4-x farm. China is recolonizing Monkeyland.
                              The game says: the bloons have taken over your town
                              Green and white Take It Back button appears
                              But only in the tutorial
                              I tweeted my silly fanfic @jasonc65

Monkeys are real
                              Bombs are real
                              #takeitback is real

Comment

Agreed that the 5 2 0 wizard is the best tower in the game and it's extremely cheap. It needs to be nerfed and made more expensive tbh.

Comment

Working...
                                X