Instaleaks (op)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instaleaks (op)

So this has been an issue for a while and it is extremely annoying. I was really salty but the latest super bomb challenge is too much to go against.

Instaregrows has been a problem in BTD series. But it's alright because those spooky stuff can be destroyed. Now, with the brand new instaleaks in bsm2, you can't even react ; they can kill you. Instantly. Unless you can leak 50s of zebras.

The issue was caused by bloons that pop into other kind of bloons and leave the "formation" like ceramics, glass, zebras and such. When these bloons appear at the bottom of the screen or worse, floating up from under the screen gets popped, they will instantly float down and leak. In the worse case where you hit them with explosions even stray ones with is very common with bomb core spam, they release their children outside and under the screen, which leaks instantly and can instantly result in a defeat as seen on stage 2-x of super bomb where a lead-glass satellite flies up from the buttom of the screen. This can also happen with ice core or glue splatter powerup by randomly freezing or glue-ing weird formations like one that combine glass-rainbows from every direction. This cause them to fall out of formation easily and leak. And the whole problem is very annoying. In my opinion, this needs to be fixed.

While I don't have the best idea for this, I suppose a brief invincibility for newly spawned bloon outside of the screen may work well.

Cheers.

Oh, so that's what it was

Comment

Yeah I've noticed the same thing, it's extremely discouraging knowing that bloons will leak and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it, Maybe they could add a drop that gives you hp back? Or at the end of a stage you get some more hp.

Comment

Maybe the next new monkey can have an epic core powerup that instapops every single bloon that emerges from or touches the bottom screen.

(Of course, that probably wouldn't help with challenges that have restrictions...)

Comment

On a related note, it seems that boss segments suffer from the same issue too. If you destroy a boss segment when it's about to go off-screen, it will not release its contents at all.

I tested it on level 20, where I used Doom Gauntlets to destroy the boss as soon as it appeared. I didn't see any shield blacks come out, as they should, and when I checked the pause screen it said I've already missed more than 2000 bloons.

Image:
          Notice that it's at the "leaves" section, where the level should have spawned just 1070 bloons in total, excluding the boss and the Golden bloon.

From this I can infer that "descending" bloons despawn as soon as they leave the screen, or immediately if they're spawned outside the screen.

An easy fix to the issue would be to tweak the despawning mechanism such that they only despawn when their y-coordinate fall past a small "tolerance" distance below the screen, i.e. y > (screen height) + (tolerance). The small "tolerance" is to ensure that even when a splitting bloon is popped outside screen, its descendants won't despawn immediately.

As for the boss segments, the bloons should also be made to move towards the centre until they're on screen again if they're on the side, i.e. when x < 0 or x > (screen width).

Maybe a diagram would make it easier to explain:
          Last edited by PeterHoHK; 08-01-17, 04:48 AM.
          Please do not check out my terrible Daily Challenges and slightly-less-terrible DeviantArt.

Comment

Smart! i like it
            I'd say that it's been 4 months since I've posted on the NK Forums

Comment

If you haven't noticed, bloons actually do move towards the center of the screen if they're off the side of the screen.

Also, this global problem is why storm core fails so badly. Hopefully a solution is found so that storm core can be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamerson View Post
                If you haven't noticed, bloons actually do move towards the center of the screen if they're off the side of the screen.

Also, this global problem is why storm core fails so badly. Hopefully a solution is found so that storm core can be useful.
                I think bloons blown by the Storm Core is handled in a separate way, as they are meant to go off-screen sometimes.
                Please do not check out my terrible Daily Challenges and slightly-less-terrible DeviantArt.

Comment

If you memorize the level you can wait for the lead ball with glass arms to go a little higher before you attack it.

In my opinion the glass balls with shielded rainbows near the bottom is harder to deal with without leaking any bloons. Especially with only energy weapons. Do you have any tips on how to deal with them in an effective way? How do you attack them? Do you go below the screen and attack from below, or do you attack from top or side? And does it result in zero bloon leakage?

Even the ceramic wheels with zebras inside can be hard to deal with if they are near the bottom, especially if you have to use low tier weapon. Do you have an effective way of popping all of those?

As for the glue, it's quite annoying when the thing pops out while you use energy whip arms. Since you are so close to the bloons you automatically pick it up. Glued bloons should continue their path but slower, instead of sliging off screen in super speed. Then at least you wouldn't worse off with glue than without.

Comment

A better example would be to use a level number I.E. 46 where you have massive amounts of ceramic Bloons in cog formation. But since this is mostly talking about endless mode let's talk that. First of all the right research and power ups will help, since epics are not always available in endless mode.
                    P.S. Level up your power ups.

P.P.S. The push to screen doesn't do all off side Bloons like PeterHoHK was getting at it messed up alot of diamond runs for me with Boss Bloons.
                    "Diamond, Diamond, I got a Diamond it's about time that I got a Diamond."-Tobuscus
                    I'm a Hufflepuff Pukwudgie.

Comment

Now that I've started using Powerups for Diamonds, I've realized instaleak is a bigger problem than I remember it to be.

I've developed some countermeasures over time like having Tempest Tornado active (especially helpful as it has a much larger AoE and can affect Ceramics since 1.1.1) and no Crouching Monkeys active when bloons come from the bottom, but for several levels there are still leaks here and there that ruin my Diamond attempts.

Some of the level portions I can immediately think up:
                      - 39, the Lead/Glass satellites.
                      - 44, the Glass bubbles.
                      - 46, the Ceramic gears.
                      - 48, the Mini MOAB pipelines.

Another thing to note is that Katana (all Tier 4+ Rang Core actually) is currently broken, as in they do not seek out bloons in this version. Otherwise it would be a decent leak catcher especially when coupled with suitable Powerups.

Comment

Katana was always a great core. And yes it's broken that even neva miss doesn't even work with it.

Already put that in bug thread but seems to get no attention :S

Comment

Have the devs seen this? Are they on their way to carrying out a fix to this? Currently I have diamonded every single stage except for S 46. The ceramics shaped in two gears at the very beginning is very annoying. My personal best is leaking over 150 bloons from the formation. For every other stage, Energy Core + both Bomb Arms with Turbo Boost powerup works perfectly well, but not for Stage 46... Can anyone provide some clues to diamonding S 46?

Comment

Originally posted by iBugOne View Post
                            Have the devs seen this? Are they on their way to carrying out a fix to this? Currently I have diamonded every single stage except for S 46. The ceramics shaped in two gears at the very beginning is very annoying. My personal best is leaking over 150 bloons from the formation. For every other stage, Energy Core + both Bomb Arms with Turbo Boost powerup works perfectly well, but not for Stage 46... Can anyone provide some clues to diamonding S 46?
                            On the General Discussion thread someone posted a video link on page 14, why don't you try that?
                            "Diamond, Diamond, I got a Diamond it's about time that I got a Diamond."-Tobuscus
                            I'm a Hufflepuff Pukwudgie.

Comment

Just noticed something.

On level 45, when the boss first emerged, I was sticking near the bottom, and then some zebra bloons started descending from the top. Those zebra bloons didn't appear if I stay away from the bottom, though.

I suspect that they were coming out of the glass bloons popped off-screen, then, because of some programming error, got teleported to the top.

IMG:

Unrelated: IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Same goes for 46, with the two cogs at the beginning of the level and descending rainbows.

It seems to me that NK is trying to do something to stop instaleak, but it doesn't quite work out right.
                              Last edited by PeterHoHK; 22-03-17, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X