Mod inactivity issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onlinegamer321 View Post
    Just so you guys know, mini-modding this thread won't increase your chances of getting selected as a moderator. If anything, it will hurt your chances.
    I don't understand how responding to people on this thread and asking people to remain on topic when things seem to veer away the discussion is considered mini-modding.
    Hello, it's me, Mk 214 EX, back again! Current Avatar: Super Saiyan Monkey?

My NK profile, probably collecting cobwebs that I'm not even going to bother cleaning up.

Do you want to be added to the NK Skype or Discord group? PM me!

More stuff will be added with time. Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion and discussion. We aren't seeing issues related to mods (or lack of) but we'll be keeping this all in mind for when/if activity increases on the forums.

Comment

In addition to this confirmation of our stance, I would like to address some points from throughout the thread specifically.

First, while the mods overall are not as active as we used to be, *neither is anyone else*. In terms of numbers alone, more mods are not needed.

When BTD6 comes, (which it will; if your argument includes "BTD6 isn't real", I honestly don't care what else you have to say, and nor should anyone else) I am sure that many of the people who drifted away from the BTD5 or BMC fora — including current mods — will return, as well as new players. That might mean we'll need new mods at that time, it might not, and it certainly doesn't say anything about now.

As for response times on forum issues being generally better via discord than the forum itself, I appreciate that it's not really in the spirit of a forum, so one could say that morally we should have more people checking the forum more actively. I would call this a weak argument though, in particular no stronger than "we don't need more mods", because instant messaging is just naturally faster than relying on someone refreshing at a good time, so if anything, the fact that this channel of contact is available is an argument *in favour* of the current moderation, not against it as was originally presented.
        Hello, I'm one of the forum's moderators, also known as Topper 64. Be awesome to each other!
        BTD5 stuff: DC archive
        BMC stuff: Encyclopædia | CT maps | Honour
        SAS4 stuff: Gun DPS | Armour | Prices | Gallery
        Disembodied and detached, a voice describes the scene

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
          In addition to this confirmation of our stance, I would like to address some points from throughout the thread specifically.

First, while the mods overall are not as active as we used to be, *neither is anyone else*. In terms of numbers alone, more mods are not needed.

When BTD6 comes, (which it will; if your argument includes "BTD6 isn't real", I honestly don't care what else you have to say, and nor should anyone else) I am sure that many of the people who drifted away from the BTD5 or BMC fora — including current mods — will return, as well as new players. That might mean we'll need new mods at that time, it might not, and it certainly doesn't say anything about now.

As for response times on forum issues being generally better via discord than the forum itself, I appreciate that it's not really in the spirit of a forum, so one could say that morally we should have more people checking the forum more actively. I would call this a weak argument though, in particular no stronger than "we don't need more mods", because instant messaging is just naturally faster than relying on someone refreshing at a good time, so if anything, the fact that this channel of contact is available is an argument *in favour* of the current moderation, not against it as was originally presented.
          I appreciate your time in reading our concern. However, I have a few things to note.

While NK has announced BTD6, indicating that it will indeed be released at some point, I find that the complete lack of information on BTD6 makes it really difficult to set standards for the game or know when it will be released. I know it's difficult to make any promises, but as a result of the game being in presumably an infant state, I won't count on it being a huge holy grail that will immediately revitalize the forums. How do we know that BTD6 is going to create a huge hype train, considering that the wave of people wanting information on it has been turned down for months? How do we know that BTD6 is going to be an awesome game and not fall down the same pitfalls SAS4 and FD fell down, and not get stalled like Endless Adventure? While denying BTD6 would be against the facts, saying that the forums are going to get better through BTD6 is kind of a stretch as well as wishful thinking, so I think it's fair to say that no one should be holding their breath over it, nor banking on it making the forums significantly better.

Plus there's a chance that by the time BTD6 comes out there will be a new version of vBulletin coming out and we'll all be going to a new forum.

While the nature of Discord means that it will result in a faster response time than the forums, the problem isn't Discord being fast, it's the forums being slow. Yes, I know that we can use Discord and it's fast and awesome and cool and all, but it shouldn't mean that forum response times should become super long just because "lol just use Discord it's faster". Discord shouldn't be required to get a timely response. It's certainly very helpful and it's a nice service to use, but I don't think moderation on the forums should be centered around the usage of Discord, given that not everyone who is on these forums will use it.
          Last edited by Mk 214 EX; 12-09-17, 02:32 AM.
          Hello, it's me, Mk 214 EX, back again! Current Avatar: Super Saiyan Monkey?

My NK profile, probably collecting cobwebs that I'm not even going to bother cleaning up.

Do you want to be added to the NK Skype or Discord group? PM me!

More stuff will be added with time. Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Originally posted by Mk 214 EX View Post

I appreciate your time in reading our concern. However, I have a few things to note.

While NK has announced BTD6, indicating that it will indeed be released at some point, I find that the complete lack of information on BTD6 makes it really difficult to set standards for the game or know when it will be released. I know it's difficult to make any promises, but as a result of the game being in presumably an infant state, I won't count on it being a huge holy grail that will immediately revitalize the forums. How do we know that BTD6 is going to create a huge hype train, considering that the wave of people wanting information on it has been turned down for months? How do we know that BTD6 is going to be an awesome game and not fall down the same pitfalls SAS4 and FD fell down, and not get stalled like Endless Adventure? While denying BTD6 would be against the facts, saying that the forums are going to get better through BTD6 is kind of a stretch as well as wishful thinking, so I think it's fair to say that no one should be holding their breath over it, nor banking on it making the forums significantly better.

Plus there's a chance that by the time BTD6 comes out there will be a new version of vBulletin coming out and we'll all be going to a new forum.

While the nature of Discord means that it will result in a faster response time than the forums, the problem isn't Discord being fast, it's the forums being slow. Yes, I know that we can use Discord and it's fast and awesome and cool and all, but it shouldn't mean that forum response times should become super long just because "lol just use Discord it's faster". Discord shouldn't be required to get a timely response. It's certainly very helpful and it's a nice service to use, but I don't think moderation on the forums should be centered around the usage of Discord, given that not everyone who is on these forums will use it.
            agree with every word MK said.

to add to what he said abot discord, sometimes even with discord you can't PM the mods because they block direct messages. And then I don't see a way I can inform the mods/admins about stuff.
            Last edited by sniper 355; 12-09-17, 04:50 AM.
            I'm Rocketicewave on the new site, 41920 AP.
            BTD5 Rank: 99. Cities: 40/40. Knowledge: all Maxed
            my challenges, overhauled ratings
            If you need help testing DCs, send me a PM and I'll help you.

Comment

This seems to be prompting a debate when there isn't one, especially regarding BTD6. I made none of those extreme claims, just an opinion that you seem to disagree with.

The main point was simply that there is no pressing need for more mods, because not much happens here, and the issues that do arise are both minor and promptly pointed out on discord. I agree that it'd be better if more mods actively checked the forum, and had more helpful DM settings in discord, but what we have seems to work, which is all we need with activity like this.
              Hello, I'm one of the forum's moderators, also known as Topper 64. Be awesome to each other!
              BTD5 stuff: DC archive
              BMC stuff: Encyclopædia | CT maps | Honour
              SAS4 stuff: Gun DPS | Armour | Prices | Gallery
              Disembodied and detached, a voice describes the scene

Comment

This is my opinion:

IMO, there could be more active mods. Users are now having to frequently enforce rules on forum games to avoid spam and block users from using such forums themselves. Thus, having more mods will help.

IDK if the OP's moderating the forum games is enough, but there can sometimes be a bias towards long-time friends or those whom someone agrees with.
                My profile (36,565 AP, Level 49 - Master of Masters) Ratings v2.0 My accepted DC's

Comment

With the title of the topic, it's the same for me with the topic messages. I mean, I'll be around less soon enough, and I guess that goes for some people. No offense to the admins/mods, but for me, the admins/mods do come if something is wrong, there's a question, or a local chat that continues because of a question.
                  This is Street Fighter V again.

Comment

Working...
                  X