"Minecraft is for Children": The argument and why it fails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Minecraft is for Children": The argument and why it fails

You've obviously seen and heard people say the argument that "Minecraft is for little kids." Some people in the NK community has said it. Heck, the "Minecraft for children" card has even been played by some youtubers like the master of 0/0 dart monkeys, ISAB. Well, I'm here to tell you all why this statement is simply

UNACCEPTABLE.

Why, you ask? Let's put this into perspective. You are criticizing a game, which revolves around resource management, fighting for your life, and creativity, for being childish. Meanwhile, you play a game which revolves around monkeys--MONKEYS--popping bloons--BLOONS (which is not even spelled right). Let's see...scavenging for supplies and managing food and valuable items; using an army of monkeys to pop bloons. Build anything you want with no limitation; pop bloon with dart. Which one is more childish? Yeah. Thought so.

Now, this argument is a little more relevant if you're playing SAS:ZA, but Minecraft still allows more possibilities for more advanced minds.

It's astounding that Minecraft is even considered a childish game at all. Minecraft's enormous options of building blocks allows users to construct anything they want to. The usage of redstone, which is the equivalent of electricity, unlocks even more possibilities. And finally, command blocks destroy any remaining barriers. Basically, commands in Minecraft are used via a game-specific coding language, and they allow the user to shape the world as they see fit. If you want to create something, and you know how to do it, you literally CAN do it. No exceptions. AT ALL. Amazing creations have been made in this revolutionary game, and more are still coming. If that isn't a sign of an increasingly developed mind, then I don't know what is.

So I hoped I've swayed your position as to what Minecraft really is, if you previously had one. No, you don't have to like it; however, you should be careful about what you're calling childish.
    My shameless advertising:

Best Way to Beat Every BTD5 Quest
    My DCs
    Is Minecraft really for children?

I have no idea why people see it as a childs' game in the first place.
    "What if life is an experiment?"

Comment

No one who says this has thought about it much (more likely just trying to be contrary).

Even games specifically made for children can be very fun so it's a pointless argument anyway.

Comment

"Different strokes for different folks" as the saying goes.

I would say it's not so much of a children's game, As it is a game that's directed/known for being played with a younger audience. (And yes, There is a difference there) In that context then yes, You could say Minecraft is in a sense, A children's game, However that doesn't mean the game has no appeal with an older audience.
        Last edited by Squideer; 22-08-16, 09:23 PM.
        Want to see the Daily Challenges I've had accepted? View them here.
        A collection of avatar's, That may or may not be restricted due to a size limit.
        http://i.imgur.com/HGjF4OP.gif
        http://i.imgur.com/7n36NSp.gif
        http://i.imgur.com/HnvAQZK.gif
        http://i.imgur.com/3NbRv78.gif
        http://i.imgur.com/lkDdGMF.gif

Comment

While it may not pertain to the thread, I do want to stress that it is rather depressing these days that parents just give their kids minecraft to play on a tablet instead of actually going outside to play. Sure minecraft lets you be creative... but it doesn't really teach you things that you need to learn like social skills and social cues and such. In that sense, I think that exposing little kids to games like minecraft is deceptive and isn't really good for teaching kids the things they need to learn.

Maybe it's the parents for not wanting to actually be parents. And maybe still the parent's faults for not wanting to teach their kids life skills and you know... actually guiding kids around. Feels like these days parents just want to be "friends" instead of actually putting their feet down because they're afraid.

Comment

I'm not sure parents are any worse today than they've ever been and at least playing Minecraft (multi player) is more social (and socially relevant as interacting online is a fundamental part of society now) than staying inside to read a book, listen to the radio or watch TV as kids would have done in the past

Comment

Guess the only real question is, why do you care what they think? If you like to play the game, play the game, nothing they say should change that, so why bother, it's a waste. I try not to argue with people who's opinions i don't care about in the first place.

Thats probably just the juvenoia talking, SOUP
              Just private message me if you need something, I'll respond. http://ninjakiwi.com/profile/Deathsax I haven't visited this linked page in months, but there are cool people to see there, maybe, I wouldn't know.

Comment

pfftt...
                i am an anti-social person in life, but my parents DON'T know that i am great on internet social games...
                like the forum games here!
                Youtube link here:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGy...OOCxyH4Eueno3w
                Game stats: BTD5 rank-55 SAS4 rank-59 BMC- 20 and 15

Comment

I like this topic. Personally, the way you play decides whether the game is childish or not. I see Bloons as a tower defense games, certainly not carrying about the towers. If you don't look at this game with this vision, you'll have a mindset that makes a game look childish. I used to play minecraft, because building with texture pack&shaders looked very nice to me. I also liked the tactical part of FactionPvP servers with McMMO. I was literally blind for blocks or textures, because I saw my joy in another way. Of course there's also people that don't get the joy and see minecraft as a game with blocks and ugly textured mobs, making no sense whatsoever.

Comment

That's what they say about Pokemon but why would i care, i love the games, i will not stop playing because people say "it's for kids", you are free to play whatever you want, people say that about every single game "it's for little kids" "it's for girls" "it's for boys" "it's for weirdos" so whatever, it's not just a Minecraft thing, people say similar stuff to NK games "stop playing that stupid balloon game for kids and come play call of duty"

Comment

I see minecraft as a pixilated retro-styleblock creating game... which somehow actually appeals to children, despite the vast amount of non-intentially pixilated games out there.
                      If I saw an adult playing minecraft, It would seem quite odd, because I have only seen younger people playing it. However, everyone has their own views on games, and I'm sure I'll be playing Bloons games in the future to
                      "Doors are just human cat flaps that open sideways" - Domesticated Cat

Comment

Originally posted by The Mochinator View Post
                        You've obviously seen and heard people say the argument that "Minecraft is for little kids." Some people in the NK community has said it. Heck, the "Minecraft for children" card has even been played by some youtubers like the master of 0/0 dart monkeys, ISAB. Well, I'm here to tell you all why this statement is simply

UNACCEPTABLE.

Why, you ask? Let's put this into perspective. You are criticizing a game, which revolves around resource management, fighting for your life, and creativity, for being childish. Meanwhile, you play a game which revolves around monkeys--MONKEYS--popping bloons--BLOONS (which is not even spelled right). Let's see...scavenging for supplies and managing food and valuable items; using an army of monkeys to pop bloons. Build anything you want with no limitation; pop bloon with dart. Which one is more childish? Yeah. Thought so.

Now, this argument is a little more relevant if you're playing SAS:ZA, but Minecraft still allows more possibilities for more advanced minds.

It's astounding that Minecraft is even considered a childish game at all. Minecraft's enormous options of building blocks allows users to construct anything they want to. The usage of redstone, which is the equivalent of electricity, unlocks even more possibilities. And finally, command blocks destroy any remaining barriers. Basically, commands in Minecraft are used via a game-specific coding language, and they allow the user to shape the world as they see fit. If you want to create something, and you know how to do it, you literally CAN do it. No exceptions. AT ALL. Amazing creations have been made in this revolutionary game, and more are still coming. If that isn't a sign of an increasingly developed mind, then I don't know what is.

So I hoped I've swayed your position as to what Minecraft really is, if you previously had one. No, you don't have to like it; however, you should be careful about what you're calling childish.
                        It can be little children's, but it's rated Everyone 10+ for a reason

Fantasy violence can affect them. I would have the parents make their decisions if they can play an Everyone 10+ game because it says "Everyone" but 10+.

There is such thing as "Minecraft EDU" which is used in schools, like Europe.

The "Fantasy Violence" includes swords, bow and arrows, weapons, and deaths.

Agian, the game is rated "Everyone 10+" not because of online. ESRB never rates online interactions. Their parents can decide if they can have Xbox Live or not.

I hope this information helps you

Cheers,

Can I Log In
                        I hope you use discord, because all the discord servers I go to is here http://tinyurl.com/hkmk97k so see ya there.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrarotom View Post
                          That's what they say about Pokemon but why would i care, i love the games, i will not stop playing because people say "it's for kids", you are free to play whatever you want, people say that about every single game "it's for little kids" "it's for girls" "it's for boys" "it's for weirdos" so whatever, it's not just a Minecraft thing, people say similar stuff to NK games "stop playing that stupid balloon game for kids and come play call of duty"
                          I recently started playing Pokémon and Yoshi's Island. Games from my childhood are literally worth gold. As like you said, what's wrong with it? I prefer strategy games over something like CoD where I don't see (as much) strategy involved like you have in Bloons TD Battles.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                            I'm not sure parents are any worse today than they've ever been and at least playing Minecraft (multi player) is more social (and socially relevant as interacting online is a fundamental part of society now) than staying inside to read a book, listen to the radio or watch TV as kids would have done in the past

This. The computer has opened up a whole new interpersonal world stuff like TV does not achieve.

But going out and exercising is also a must.
                            Current Avatar: Riddel (Chrono Cross)

The grandest way to protest the unjust is to insist on being punished by the unjust.
                            BTD5 Rank: 83 | BMC Levels: 40 and 37; 32 on Mobile | NK Level: 36
                            YouTube channel | My Ratings System

Comment

Originally posted by SOUP View Post
                              While it may not pertain to the thread, I do want to stress that it is rather depressing these days that parents just give their kids minecraft to play on a tablet instead of actually going outside to play. Sure minecraft lets you be creative... but it doesn't really teach you things that you need to learn like social skills and social cues and such. In that sense, I think that exposing little kids to games like minecraft is deceptive and isn't really good for teaching kids the things they need to learn.

Maybe it's the parents for not wanting to actually be parents. And maybe still the parent's faults for not wanting to teach their kids life skills and you know... actually guiding kids around. Feels like these days parents just want to be "friends" instead of actually putting their feet down because they're afraid.
                              On the brighter side, I mean...a kid is less likely to get hit by a car whilst playing Minecraft indoors. I'm just saying...
                              Our relationship has become a bit of an "On and off" thing, but don't let it bother you too much ^__^
                              If someone calls a game stupid or dumb just because they "suck" at it, then they are the ones who are dumb ~Weegee

Comment

Working...
                              X